Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cattle Chasers

Sometimes in life we only know the portion of a person that we directly interact with and are surprised to find out something about this persons life that we had never known.  These discoveries helps us grow deeper in friendship and appreciation of the people we interact with and understand them better.  Though it may not be a surprise to most, it may be to some of you... I'm a country girl.  Raised in Northern CA my life has been a mix of urban and rural.  I truly appreciate the variety I have had throughout life but my heart of hearts is a country girl.
Last month Keith and I took a long weekend to go home and visit family.  Part of that trip included helping my parents feed the cattle at my grandparents ranch, Gregersen Polled Herfords.  It is something I have done since I was a small kid so it was fun to share it with Keith.


The new generation of feeding cattle during the winter has ditched the large ranch truck and increased mobility by using quads and a small trailer.  Bitter cold most days, and thankfully not raining the days we helped, it was a great experience.  It gave me a great appreciation for the life my grandparents have lived since starting their ranch so long ago. 
They were waiting for us to come up over the hill. 

Keith dishing out hay (notice his pink cheeks...brrr)

We tried to get a head count and ended up somewhere between 108 and 115.
















I can vouch for the cows in my life, happy cows do come from California. 

1 comment:

The Browns said...

You're back!! Love the blog:) My favorite is the last picture.

I'm happy to see that you and Keith are enjoying married life and learning new things about each other. Keep up the good work;).

Love you!