Saturday, September 3, 2011

Little portable pies

















I found a recipe reading Bon Appetit magazine while at the doctor's office this week and decided to give it a try.  I have recently realized I always want to make something new when taking dessert to someones house or having people over but that can be quite a risky maneuver if I haven't tested it out first.  So, with all my spare time on my hands while I await the arrival of Baby Erselius I decided to give Cherry Hand Pies a trial run.  I must say they turned out great and were super easy.  They didn't take long at all and were easy to make (even with my limited ability to concentrate these days).  I added some orange zest to balance out the sweetness, used frozen cherries since I just couldn't muster up buying and pitting fresh cherries, and I used the tart dried cherries from Trader Joe's since I had them on hand and thought they would again balance out some of the overly sweet cherriness.  Overall I am a big fan.  I made 8 total and froze 4 of them just before the baking step.  Not sure how they the frozen ones will turn out.  If you are looking for a fun, easy dessert I would recommend this one!

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/07/cherry-hand-pies

No comments: