Saturday, June 7, 2008

Walk for Grain

In two weeks I will be participating in a 5K walk to raise money for a program called Walk for Grain. My church partners with families in Burkina Faso, Africa and this year the community of subsistence farmers faced the worst crop failure in decades. So, along with many friends and families from my church we will be strapping on our tennis shoes and raising funds to buy grain for families facing famine. A $26 bag of grain will feed a family of 5 for one month. If you are interested in more information and / or would like to support this cause please visit the web site:


For me, I have a special place in my heart for Africa since my travels to Malawi years ago. Though I haven't visited Burkina Faso myself I know the importance of crops for those who farm merely to feed their families, like many of the women and children I met. Personally, I too often forget how blessed I am to have food each day, and not only that but a variety of food available. The thought of depending on the crops I farm for survival and then having those crops fail, leaving me with nothing is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. It is a true reminder though to be thankful for the blessings in abundance that I too commonly take for granted each day.

No comments: